Saturday, April 4, 2009

Food Storage

For Christmas, my mother in law made me a binder of food storage information, and Ive been trying really hard to buy food storage every week. My mother in law got me into it, and has really stressed the importance of it. In the binder there is a list of what you should buy every week, and at the end of 52 weeks, you will have enough food storage to sustain 2 people for a year, eating humbly of course. A few friends have asked for the list that I use, so I thought I would post it on here. The list can be started at anytime.

Week 1 6 lbs salt
Week 2 5 cans cream of chicken soup
Week 3 20 lbs sugar
Week 4 8 cans tomato soup
Week 5 50 lbs wheat
Week 6 6 lbs macaroni
Week 7 20 lbs sugar
Week 8 8 cans tuna
Week 9 61 lbs yeast
Week 10 50 lbs wheat
Week 11 8 cans tomato soup
Week 12 20 lbs sugar
Week 13 10 lbs powdered sugar
Week 14 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
Week 15 50 lbs wheat
Week 16 5 cans cream of chicken soup
Week 17 1 bottle 500 multivitamins
Week 18 10 lbs powdered milk
Week 19 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
Week 20 50 lbs wheat
Week 21 8 cans tomato soup
Week 22 20 lbs sugar
Week 23 8 cans tuna
Week 24 6 lbs shortening
Week 25 5 lbs honey
Week 26 50 lbs wheat
Week 27 10 lbs powdered milk
Week 28 20 lbs sugar
Week 29 5 lbs peanut butter
Week 30 50 lbs wheat
Week 31 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
Week 32 10 lbs powdered milk
Week 33 1 bottle 500 asprin or tylenol
Week 34 5 cans cream of chicken soup
Week 35 50 lbs of wheat
Week 36 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
Week 37 6 lbs of salt
Week 38 20 lbs sugar
Week 39 8 cans tomato soup
Week 40 50 lbs wheat
Week 41 5 cans cream of chicken soup
Week 42 20 lbs sugar
Week 43 1 bottle 500 multivitamins
Week 44 8 cans tuna
Week 45 50 lbs wheat
Week 46 6 lbs macaroni
Week 47 20 lbs sugar
Week 48 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
Week 49 5 lbs of honey
Week 50 20 lbs sugar
Week 51 8 cans tomato soup
Week 52 50 lbs wheat

I know thats a really long list, but it has helped me a ton. You don't even have to do it in order, right now if I see that sugar is a really good deal, I will buy 40 lbs, and just cross to sugar weeks off my list. What I also started doing last month is collecting non food items. I just buy one item a month, last month I bought an extra container of laundry detergent, and this month i bought shampoo and conditioner. The cost of it all usually ends up around $10 a week, which adds up fast, but if you can budget for it, then its totally worth it, and it's really comforting to know you can feed your family even if you are out of a job, or a natural disaster happens, or suddenly money has no worth, and a can of tuna fish is a $100..sounds kind of stupid but its happening in other countries right now. Anyway enough preaching about food storage (for now) ;)

7 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! what a smart idea. We have 3-4 months bought for but definitely not a year. I think breaking it down into something like this is a lot easier for somebody just getting into it. I'll have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! What a good way to get the list out, thanks for putting it up:) I think everyone should use something like this to have an idea on how much to buy...ect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. About 2 months ago, I woke up really early in the morning and got this incredibly urgent feeling that I needed to work on our food storage, but it has been so overwhelming to me that I have barely done anything. This really helps a lot. THANK YOU so much for sharing :)
    I will definitely use this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this binder..that's awesome..Jeff is supposed to build me a food storage area in the garage..hopefully this summer..it will be great to have a food storage area, maybe for you guys in the new basement??

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome! I've been working on our food storage lately, but it's mostly just picking up 25 lbs of sugar or a few extra cans here and there. This is totally helpful. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you posted that because I have been trying to work on mine, but I didn't really know what to buy. That is great though, thanks darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute new pic! sis you look SO skinny..(turkey!) and Lexi's hair..it's growing like crazy..I keep on thinking about Lexi laughing while I was talking to her on the phone last night..too funny..Glad you had a happy Easter

    ReplyDelete